The used car market in Dubai is more attractive than in the US, and you can find a used car in Dubai by downloading the Dubizzle and Dubicars apps.
Discover in this article how and where to buy a used car in Dubai and the steps to take to buy your car legally.
Where to Buy Used Cars in Dubai?
Many expatriates settle in Dubai and leave the city after a few years, depending on the length of their contract.
As a result, numerous used cars are for sale in very good condition. Some of these cars have been in use for a year or less, and some have even been driven very few kilometers.
To find a used car in Dubai, you have three main options:
- The Auto Market: this is an open car market and there is one in Ras Al Khour in Dubai. It is a huge market where you will definitely find the right used car for you. But you have to stop by a dealer every time and ask for the price, model, etc.
- The Dubizzle website: this is a reference website in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). New offers are posted every day. On this site, you can easily search for a used car by using the filters. The Dubi Cars website also works very well in Dubai.
- The Expat Wheels dealer: this is an intermediary company that receives the vehicles that expatriates put on sale. This company takes care of the management of the sale. The cars offered for sale by this company are generally well maintained. When the company receives a vehicle, a check of the whole vehicle is made. If the vehicle is in poor condition, the company does not put it up for sale.
Good to know: when searching on the Dubizzle website, choose a vehicle with a Full Service History (FSH). This will allow you to know all the information about the vehicle, including its anomalies.
Also, newspapers such as The Gulf News and Khaleej Times have classified sections for used cars.
How to Buy a Used Car in Dubai
To buy a used car in Dubai, you must:
- Be in possession of a resident visa
- Have a Dubai driver’s license. To obtain this document (valid for 10 years), it is not necessary to take a test. However, there are some administrative steps you need to take to exchange your Foreign license.
To exchange your Foreign license, go to the RTA (Roads and Transport Authority) with the following documents:
- Passport and resident visa (original and copy)
- Original driver’s license (original and copy)
- A certificate of eye test completed by an optician
- An authorization (no objection letter) from your employer
- Two passport photos.
Following the purchase of your vehicle, it must be registered and insured to be used on the roads of the UAE. You cannot drive a car in Dubai without a current UAE registration.
To register your vehicle, go to the RTA. Both the buyer and seller must be present for the registration of the vehicle.
Please note that you will have to renew your vehicle registration every year at the RTA. You will be required to pay any fines received during the year.
A technical inspection must also be carried out every year, starting when the vehicle is three years old.
Buying Used Cars in Dubai: Pitfalls to Avoid
It is important to check the condition of the car of your choice before you buy it. You should make sure that the vehicle has not been in an accident and that there are no hidden defects.
It is also advisable to look up the registration number on the Dubai Police website. This will ensure that the car is free of fines and other outstanding charges.
What Is the Price of Used Cars in Dubai?
4×4s are very popular in Dubai. These cars allow you to make long trips in the desert.
Here are the prices of the most popular used 4×4 in Dubai:
- The Mitsubishi Pajero V6: between AED 70,000 and AED 80,000 (or between USD $19,057 and $21,780)
- Toyota Prado V6, Jeep Wrangler V6: between AED 100,000 and 130,000 (or between USD $27,225 and $35,393)
- Toyota Land Cruiser V8, Nissan Patrol V8: between 160 000 and 200 000 AED (between USD $43,560 and $54,451).
Note that the Mitsubishi Pajero V6 is considered one of the most affordable 4×4 vehicles on the market. You should also know that European SUVs (Audi, BMW, Volvo) do not allow you to venture into the dunes.
You should know that prices vary considerably depending on the year of the model.
On Dubicars, for example, a 2018 Fiat 500 can cost you AED 89,000, while the price of a 2015 Fiat 500 can be AED 49,500. The price can go as low as AED 10,500 for a 2011 Fiat 500.
Now you know how to buy a used car in Dubai. You can get a very good deal in this city, where the used car market is particularly dynamic. You just need to find out as much as you can about the vehicle and check it thoroughly before you buy it.
Depending on the length of your stay or your expatriation in Dubai, renting a car could also be a good alternative.